Transcription software is a software that converts human speech or conversations into text. The transcription of audio or video files can be done manually or automatically. These recorded transcription can be replayed several times in a transcription editor.
The manual transcription can be accelerated, the sound can be filtered, equalized or have the tempo adjusted when the clarity is not great by the help of transcription hot keys. A transcriptionists can automatically convert recordings to text transcripts by speech recognition technology. The conversion is done by opening recordings in a PC and uploading them to a cloud for automatic transcription. Recordings can also be transcribed in real time by using digital dictation.
The accuracy of the automatic transcription depends on factors like background noises, the distance of speaker to the microphone, and accents. Automatically generated transcripts still need manual verification depending on quality of recordings. A text transcript is searchable as compared with audio content. It takes up less computer memory and can be used as an alternate method of communication.
Uses of Transcription Software:
- Transcription software are used by many enterprises, universities, media outlets and professionals to have written records of conversations, lectures and meetings on hand to reference which makes their task easier than manually taking notes.
- Transcription software are widely used for note taking in various industries like higher education and business. It is also used to have a written record in legal, media interview and medical contexts.
- It is used by doctors in medical sector to have transcriptions of their conversations with patients to reference later. As this tool which allows a student to capture everything being said during a university lecture, student can take benefit from having a transcription tool. It is especially beneficial for students with disabilities.
Types of Transcription Software:
There are several types of free as well as paid transcription softwares are available to capture important audio bites and provide users with a full written record of them.
Advantages of Free Transcription Software:
- Free audio transcription software are readily available online. These audio transcription software helps to get the job done and capture audible conversations or interviews without the need of manual typing.
- These free tools are easier to use and are beneficial for lower volumes of work such as for interviewing one subject, an informal conversation recording etc.
Disadvantages of Free Transcription Software:
- As free tools have limited features, these are not much quick and effective for higher volumes of audio or video for professional purposes.
- You will need to spend time doing the human fact checks manually.
- Free transcription software are often inadequate, with an inability to recognize multiple speakers or word differentiation.
- It does not provide the ability for businesses to scale by separating the audio capture from the production of the transcript.
- Complex topics are not suitable for free transcription tools because of its inaccuracy. These tools are not that much accurate to recognizing slight grammar differences in basic words for more complex word terminology.
- Provided accuracy levels should be 99 percent in higher education, to be compliant with the law and ADA which is not possible by using a free tool.
- The accuracy is also much important for many industries such as legal to ensure justice is served fairly, in media when interviewing important subjects and in enterprise when business leaders are discussing important statistics.
- Free transcription software have limited integration options, where as paid transcription software have built in integrations with platforms you are using to capture the audio. These can automatically pull recorded audio and video files for transcription and return them to the same folders once the transcription is done accurately.
- Free transcription software have limited customization options. It does not provide timestamps or SMPTE time codes at specific times users want to appear them. It also does not have the capability to customize transcripts to certain templates which is essential for legal.