Androstenedione is a steroid hormone that is used to increase the production of the hormone testosterone.
Updated: October 11, 2021
Androstenediol is an endogenous weak androgen and estrogen steroid hormone that acts as an intermediate in the biosynthesis of testosterone from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) which is the most abundant steroid produced by the human adrenal cortex.
Some facts about Androstenediol:
- Androstenedione is a steroid hormone that is used to increase the production of the hormone testosterone.
- Athletic performance can be improved, muscle can be build, body fat can be reduced, energy can be increased and sexual desire as well as performance can be increased by using androstenedione.
- It can also help keeping red blood cells healthy by increasing the production of the hormone testosterone
- The body uses Androstenedione to make testosterone and estrogen.
- The adrenal glands as well as the testes and ovaries produces Androstenedione.
- Aandrostenedione is converted to provide around half of all testosterone and almost all of the estrone in females.
- Large amounts of androstenedione is produced by the testes in males. Androstenedione is also produced by the adrenal glands in men.
- The symptoms or signs of hyperandrogenism in women occurs due to elevated androstenedione levels.
- Elevated levels of androstenedione can be an indication of androgen producing adrenal or gonadal tumors.
Uses & Effectiveness of Androstenediol:
Androstenediol is likely ineffective for enhancing athletic performance as taking 100 to 300 mg androstenedione per day by mouth does not significantly increase muscle strength, muscle size or lean body mass when used for 2 to 3 months along with weight training.
Side Effects of Androstenediol:
- Deepening of the voice, facial hair growth, acne, abnormal menstrual periods, male-pattern baldness, thickening of the skin and depression are some of the male characteristics that can be developed in women who take androstenediol.
- Androstenediol is possibly unsafe for most of the people when taken by mouth.
- Reduced sperm production, shrunken testicles, painful or prolonged erections, breast development, behavioral changes and heart disease are some of the side effects of Androstenedione experienced by men.
- The chances of getting breast cancer, prostate cancer or pancreas cancer increases by taking Androstenediol. It is also poisonous for the liver.
- The strength and purity of androstenedione products may not match the product labeling in most of the cases.
Precautions & Warnings of Androstenediol:
- Androstenedione is likely unsafe to use during pregnancy as it might bring on labor pain and cause a miscarriage.
- Avoid using Androstenedione duting breast feeding to stay on safe side as there is not enough is known about the safety of using androstenedione during breast feeding.
- Androstenedione is likely unsafe in children as it might stop bone growth and lead to shorter adult height. Early onset of puberty can be a cause of using Androstenedione in children.
- Taking androstenedione supplements can make depression worsen in women as some women with severe major depression have naturally high levels of androstenedione. However, it is not clear if taking androstenedione supplements can cause depression.
- Men and women with hormone sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, endometriosis and uterine fibroids, should avoid androstenedione as it increases estrogen levels.
- Androstenedione should be avoided if you have any type of liver disease as it might harm the liver. It is advisable to get liver function tests if you take androstenedione even if you don't have liver disease.
- Androstenedione supplements can worsen the symptoms of PCOS as women with PCOS have naturally high levels of androstenedione.
- Taking androstenedione can increase the chances of developing prostate cancer as it can can encourage prostate tumor cell growth. Avoid taking androstenedione if you have a prostate condition.
- The risk of coronary heart disease can be increased by taking Androstenediol.
Interactions of Androstenediol:
- Taking androstenediol along with estrogen pills will produce too much estrogen in the body as it help in the production of estrogen.
- Estrogen pills containing conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin), ethinyl estradiol, estradiol and others should be avoided with androstenediol.
- Taking androstenediol with a testosterone pill will produce too much testosterone in the body wich can further increase the chance of side effects of testosterone.
Dosing of Androstenediol:
- The appropriate dose of Androstenediol depends on the age, health and several other conditions of user.
- Appropriate directions on product labels should be followed and pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional should be consulted before starting the use of Androstenediol.
Vitamin A is likely safe for most people when taken by mouth or given as a shot into the muscle in amounts less than 10,000 IU daily.
Meal replacement shakes are prepared to provide the nutrition of a full meal, just like protein shakes
The liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained is known as whey.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in many foods.
Vitamin K is actually a group of compounds and the name vitamin K comes from the German word 'Koagulationsvitamin.'
An energy drink is a type of drink that contains sugar and stimulant compounds, usually caffeine.
Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining proper bone structure.
Vitamin D is required for the regulation of the minerals calcium and phosphorus in the body.
Suppliers Across World
Browse suppliers across the globe including Togo, Seychelles, South Korea, Mauritania, Kuwait, Dominica, French Polynesia, Thailand, Ecuador, Finland, Central African Republic, Tajikistan, Faroe Islands, Singapore, Holy See (Vatican City State), Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, Benin, Swaziland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Madagascar, Niger, Nigeria, Myanmar, British Indian Ocean Territory, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Saint Helena, Indonesia, Switzerland, Uruguay, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Bolivia, United Arab Emirates, Northern Mariana Islands, Latvia, Hungary, Serbia, Malaysia, American Samoa, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Morocco, Nepal, Vanuatu, Chad, North Macedonia, Falkland Islands, Russian Federation and other localities of World as well..