Arabinoxylan is found mostly in all type of cereal grains, including rye, wheat, barley, oats, rice, sorghum, maize and millet.
Updated: October 12, 2021
Arabinoxylan is the main nonstarch polysaccharides found in both the primary and secondary cell walls of plants, including woods and cereal grains such as wheat, corn, rice, rye, oat and barley.
Some facts about Arabinoxylan:
- Arabinoxylan is found mostly in all type of cereal grains, including rye, wheat, barley, oats, rice, sorghum, maize, millet along with plants, such as psyllium, flax seed, pangola grass, bamboo shoots and rye grass.
- The highest content of arabinoxylans is found in the grain rye followed by wheat, barley, oats, rice and sorghum.
- Arabinoxylans are found in starchy endosperm's cell walls, bran tissues, aleurone as well as in the husk of some cereals.
- These are naturally present in most of the grain based food and beverages including bread, pasta, biscuit, pastry, cracker, pancake, waffles, ready to eat breakfast cereals, cereal bars and beer.
- Arabinoxylan supplements can be added to breads, porridge, chapati and biscuits.
- The amount of sugar and cholesterol that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines can be reduced by using Arabinoxylan to treat heart disease, constipation, diabetes, prediabetes, metabolic syndrome, and weight loss.
- One of the main component of soluble and insoluble dietary fibers is Arabinoxylan which provides various health benefits.
- Arabinoxylans have antioxidant activity, owing to their bound phenolic acids.
- The metabolic effects are due to their ion exchange capacity and viscosity.
- It will be difficult for consumers to get 8 gm of soluble arabinoxylan fibre per meal from natural food sources in the absence of dietary fibre supplements.
- The arabinoxylan fibre supplements and food products fortified with arabinoxylan fibre will be beneficial for individuals following reduced kilojoule diets, those with poor appetites and with moderate to low carbohydrate intakes.
Uses & Effectiveness of Arabinoxylan:
- The blood sugar levels and insulin levels in people with type 2 diabetes can be reduced by eating food fortified with arabinoxylan for 5 weeks. It can also help improve blood sugar control in people with this condition.
- Blood sugar levels as well as triglycerides levels can be reduced by eating food fortified with arabinoxylan for 6 weeks.
- Arabinoxylan can be used for disease related to heart, constipation, metabolic syndrome, weight loss and many others.
Side Effects of Arabinoxylan:
Arabinoxylan can cause diarrhea, gas or stomach pain when taken by mouth.
Precautions & Warnings of Arabinoxylan:
- Avoid using Arabinoxylan during pregnancy and breast feeding to stay on safe side as there is not enough is known about the safety of using Arabinoxylan during pregnancy and breast feeding.
- Blood sugar levels need to be monitored closely for people with diabetes if taking Arabinoxylan with diabetic medication as it can lower blood sugar levels.
- Dose adjustments may be necessary for diabetes medications if that are taken along with Arabinoxylan.
- Stop taking arabinoxylan at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery as it can affect blood sugar control during and after surgery by lowering blood sugar levels.
Interactions of Arabinoxylan:
- Taking Arabinoxylan along with diabetes medications can lower your blood sugar levels. Your blood sugar levels should be monitored closely and the dose of your diabetes medication should be adjusted accordingly if you are taking Arabinoxylan along with diabetes medications.
- Glimepiride (Amaryl), glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase PresTab, Micronase), insulin, pioglitazone (Actos), rosiglitazone (Avandia), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol) and tolbutamide (Orinase) are some of the medications used for diabetes.
Dosing of Arabinoxylan:
- The appropriate amount of intake of Arabinoxylan depends on the age, health and several other conditions of user.
- Appropriate directions on product labels should be followed and pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional should be consulted before starting the use of Arabinoxylan.
Vitamin A is likely safe for most people when taken by mouth or given as a shot into the muscle in amounts less than 10,000 IU daily.
Vitamin D is required for the regulation of the minerals calcium and phosphorus in the body.
The liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained is known as whey.
Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining proper bone structure.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in many foods.
Vitamin K is actually a group of compounds and the name vitamin K comes from the German word 'Koagulationsvitamin.'
An energy drink is a type of drink that contains sugar and stimulant compounds, usually caffeine.
Meal replacement shakes are prepared to provide the nutrition of a full meal, just like protein shakes
Suppliers Across World
Browse suppliers across the globe including Saudi Arabia, United States, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Finland, Switzerland, Singapore, Senegal, Fiji Islands, Kiribati, American Samoa, Lesotho, Tuvalu, Djibouti, Mayotte, Belgium, Andorra, Rwanda, England, North Macedonia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, United Kingdom, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Jersey, Cyprus, New Caledonia, Laos, Iraq, Swaziland, Micronesia, Federated States of, Northern Mariana Islands, Mauritania, Reunion, Trinidad and Tobago, Greece, Wallis and Futuna, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Serbia, French Southern territories, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Liechtenstein, Bermuda, Iceland, Israel, Myanmar, Guatemala, Mozambique, Slovenia, British Indian Ocean Territory, Suriname and other localities of World as well..