Dark circles are one of the major concern when you get it. It shows the tiredness, rising stress levels and a general aura of exhaustion.
Dark circles can be caused by two different factors, which may be affected by both genetics and lifestyle choices.
The first cause is pigmentation, which basically means there is darkening of color in the skin. This can be hereditary, but may also be caused by sun damage. The other cause of dark circles is dilated veins. When veins under the eye dilate, they become bigger and darker. This happens as a result of exhaustion, seasonal allergies and dietary factors.
If you pinch the skin and lift it off the surface and the skin color looks brown, this indicates that the dark circles are as a result of pigmentation. On the other hand, if the color looks better when you do this, you likely have an issue with dilated veins.
But we have some amazing ingredients at our home that can be used to get rid of these serious looking dirk circles.
Try these below tips to get rid of from the comfort of your home.
Almond Oil for Dark Circles:
Almond oil is a natural ingredient that is a staple in every household. This can benefits skin around your eyes as it helps lighten dark circles. Combining almond oil with vitamin E oil can work as wonder for your dark circles. Follow the below steps to use almond oil for dirk circles:
- Apply some almond oil over your dark circles and massage it gently into the skin before going to bed.
- Leave the oil on overnight and wash it off with cold water next morning.
- Repeat this every day until your dark circles are gone.
Cucumber for Dark Circles:
Because of the skin-lightening and mild astringent properties, cucumbers can be used for removing dark circles. They are also very soothing and refreshing. Follow the below steps to use cucumber for dark circles:
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices and chill it for about 30 minutes.
- Place the slices on the dark circles for about 10 minutes.
- Wash the area thoroughly with water.
- Repeat this process twice a day for one week to see results.
Raw Potato for Dark Circles:
Potatoes contain vital natural bleaching agents and when used raw, they help lighten dark circles and reduce excess puffiness around your eyes.
Follow the below steps to use raw potato for dark circles:
- Grate a couple of chilled potatoes to extract the juice.
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it on your closed eyes.
- Make sure the juice covers the dark circles entirely.
- Allow the juice to sit for about 15 minutes and rinse your eyelids well with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice daily for 2 to 3 weeks to see results.
Rose Water for Dark Circles:
Rose Water not only rejuvenates skin and reduces dark circles but also has a soothing effect on tired eyes. It also works well as a skin toner because of its mild astringent properties.
Follow the below steps to use rose water for dark circles:
- Soak cotton eye pads in rose water for a few minutes.
- Place the soaked pads on your closed eyelids.
- Leave them on for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily for 2 to 3 weeks to see results.
Tomato for Dark Circles:
Tomato is a super-food with lots of nutrients that is beneficial for your health as well as skin. Because of its powerful bleaching properties tomato can lighten skin very effectively and thus can be used for dirk circles.
Follow the below steps to use tomato for dark circles:
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one and a half teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Gently apply this mixture on your dark circles and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off well with cool water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks to see results
Turmeric For Dark Circles:
Because of the skin brightening and lightening properties of turmeric, it enhance the appearance of the dull and dark skin under your eyes.
Follow the below steps to use turmeric for dark circles:
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of almond oil.
- Massage the under eye area with this mixture for a minute and then leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off well with cool water.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a week for best results.
Try these remedies instead of expensive cures to dark circles and you will be wonder to see the result. However, if you don't have time to do all these remedies try some product that contain vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. Many products are available in market of this combination. But make sure to choose the one that suits your skin type. Vitamin C helps build collagen, so there is separation between the vein and skin, and hyaluronic acid plumps the skin to decrease transparency.
Some lifestyle tips to reduce dark circles
Address your diet:
Maintaining a nutritious anti-inflammatory diet that is full of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats can improve the overall skin health including the eye area. Small changes in your diet like consuming less red wine and caffeine can reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
Get enough sleep:
Getting enough quality sleep is important for keeping dark circles from becoming more visible. Therefore make sure to sleep at least 8 to 9 hours in night.
Avoid sun exposure:
Avoid sun exposure as much as you can by applying a sunscreen lotion or using umbrella or covering your face by cloth. Also apply an under-eye concealer that contains a broad-spectrum SPF to protect the eye area.
As smoking cigarettes and inhaling second-hand smoke worsens dark circles, try to avoid these.
Address other health issues:
Being overweight and having high cholesterol or triglycerides can contribute to dark circles, both of which can be reduced via dietary changes, medication and exercise.
Making yourself healthier will make some amount of difference in the appearance of dark circles too.