Adho Mukha Svanasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Downward Facing Dog Pose. The name Adho Mukha Svanasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Adho means Down, Mukha means Face, Sava a means Dog and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Downward Facing Dog Pose.
Adho Mukha Svanasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana include removing Stress, Increases the Focus of Mind and Concentration, Strengthen Hip, Shoulder, Knee and Thigh Muscles, Enhance Sexual Health, Improves Digestive Health, Improves Blood Circulation and Reduce Lower Body Fat .
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Adho Mukha Svanasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Adho Mukha Svanasana (The Downward Facing Dog Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and get down on your knees.
- You should start off on your knees and hands. Keep your knees clearly underneath the hips and your hands a little before your shoulders.
- Allow your palms to be spread out and your index fingers to some degree turned out or parallel.
- Breathe out and delicately lift your hips and straighten your elbows and knees. Your body posture should be framed like a reversed 'V'.
- Your hands ought to be in accordance with your shoulders, and your feet in accordance with your hips. Ensure that your toes point outwards.
- Presently, press your hands into the ground and strengthen your neck. Your ears should touch your internal arms, and you should gaze to your navel.
- Try to remain in this position as much time as you can.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 2 to 3 breaths.
- To release from this position, breathe in and slowly get on to the starting position. Now keep your both the hands alongside your body, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your abs, hip, thigh, and shoulder but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana (The Downward Facing Dog Pose):
Adho Mukha Svanasana Strengthens Shoulder, Abdomen, and Spine:
While practicing Adho Mukha Svanasana, it stretches our shoulder, abdomen and spine muscles that help to improve the blood flow in this area and keep our muscle tone and strengthen. Different studies have been proven that regular practice of this Adho Mukha Svanasana will helps to reduce the back pain and prevent the risk of injury in the shoulder, abdomen and spine region.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Improves Digestive Health:
Regular practice of Adho Mukha Svanasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because while doing Adho Mukha Svanasana, it's create lot of pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and it also promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of complex protein and carbohydrate.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Increases Focus:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Adho Mukha Svanasana helps to improve the blood circulation to the brain because your head position is going against the gravity, so it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Adho Mukha Svanasana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Improve Blood Supply to the Head:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Adho Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain that helps in the proper functioning of brain.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Adho Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, this ensure brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients, this is very beneficial in relieving the stress and anxiety.
Adho Mukha Svanasana Enhance Sexual Health:
Practicing of Adho Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.