Chakrasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Wheel Pose. The name Chakrasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, where Chakra mean Wheel and Asana mean Pose, so combine of all the words, it's pronounced as The Wheel Pose. Beside this, the posture of Chakrasana resembles like a Wheel, so in English this asana is known as The Wheel Pose.
Chakrasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Chakrasana include Improving Digestive Health, Strengthens the Back and Abdominal Muscles, Tones the Leg and Arm Muscles, Improves the Circulation of Blood, Improves the Function of the Kidneys and Livers, Helps to Prevent Hernia, Improves Cardiovascular Health and Enhance Sexual Performance.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Chakrasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, shoulder injury, knee injury and hip injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache, Diarrhea and carpal tunnel syndrome they should avoid this asana. For women, those who were in the last month of pregnancy; they should also avoid this asana. A Person suffering from hernia should avoid this asana.
How to do Chakrasana (The Wheel Pose):
- To start this yoga asana get onto the yoga mat, lie down on your back and keep your feet apart, relax and breathe normally.
- Now placed your both the feet on the floor by bending your knees, your feet should place close to your hips.
- Now placed your palms under your shoulders by bending your elbows and your finger should point towards the shoulders, your elbows are shoulder width apart.
- Breathe in and try to lift your body from the shoulder by pressing your palms firmly into the floor.
- Then try to lift your hips up from the floor by pressing firmly into the floor.
- Your spine should be rolled up so that your body posture resembles a semicircular arch or a wheel.
- Try to keep your legs and arms straight as much as you can so that the hips and chest may be pushed up.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 2 to 3 breaths.
- To release from this position, breathe out and slowly bend your elbows to lower your head and shoulders to the floor and bend your knees and bring your spine and hips back to the ground. Now keep your both the hands alongside your body, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your abs, back hip, thigh, and shoulder but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Chakrasana (The Wheel Pose):
Chakrasana Improves Cardiovascular Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Chakrasana is very beneficial to improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because while doing this asana our upper body is lifting up it create lot of pressure on our chest area and it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Chakrasana Strengthens arms, shoulders, hands, wrists and legs:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Chakrasana, can stretch your arms, shoulders, hands, wrists and legs muscles, that improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, which mean muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition that helps them to strengthen and grow, so the regular practice of this Chakrasana helps to prevent injury in arms, shoulders, hands, wrists and legs.
Chakrasana Strengthens Buttocks, Abdomen, and Spine:
This asana is also very useful for our buttocks, abdomen and spine. Different studies have been proven that regular practice of this asana improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, so the regular practice of this Chakrasana helps to strengthen and prevent injury in the buttocks, abdomen, and spine.
Chakrasana Stimulates the Thyroid and Pituitary Glands:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Chakrasana on a regular basis can improve the thyroid and pituitary gland health, because it creates a lot of pressure on the thyroid gland in the neck region, due to this our body promotes the secretion of thyroxin hormone, which is very beneficial for hypo and hyperthyroidism.
Chakrasana Enhance Sexual Performance:
Practicing of Chakrasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.
Chakrasana Improves the Function of the Kidneys and Livers:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Chakrasana is very beneficial for in improving the function of livers and kidney, because while doing this asana, it creates lots of pressure in the kidneys and livers that help to produce of stress hormones, which stimulate our kidneys and liver for better functioning.
Chakrasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Chakrasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, this ensure brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients, this is very beneficial in relieving the stress and anxiety.