Marjariasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Cat Pose. The name Marjariasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of two words, where Marjaria means Cat, and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Cat Pose.
Marjariasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Marjariasana include strengthening The Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips, Helps to Reduce Back Pain, Improves Digestive Health, Strengthen the Neck, Chest, and Shoulders, Helps to Reduce Belly Fat, Improves the Function of Liver and Kidneys, Improves Blood Circulation, Improves Cardiovascular Health, Relieves Stress and Anxiety and Enhance Sexual Health.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Marjariasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Marjariasana (The Cat Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and get down to the floor on your knees and hands.
- Your spine should flatter and equal to the floor.
- Your head should be positioned in the center.
- The Next stage is breathing out; in the meantime endeavor to move your back (Spine) towards the rooftop. Ensure that hands and knees stay in the initial position. Try not to move both at a time. (In breathing out you need to get your tummy and pushing your navel up to the spine). Hold the position for 30 seconds.
- Now breathe in and enable your tummy and spine to descend towards the floor. Push your spine descending, however much as could be possible. (Keep your head towards the floor, maintain a strategic distance from your jaw compelling towards the chest). Stay in the posture for 30 seconds.
- To release from this position, slowly come to the starting position and then keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 20 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, hip, thigh, shoulder, abdomen and knee, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Marjariasana (The Cat Pose):
Marjariasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Marjariasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Marjariasana put lots of pressure on stomach and inner intestine organ, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent the waste from our body.
Marjariasana Improves Blood Circulation:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Marjariasana can help to improve the blood flow, because when we are doing this exercise we are laying down on the floor and it put less pressure on our cardiovascular system, so blood flow will more and easier.
Marjariasana Reduces Belly Fat:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Marjariasana is very helpful for our abdominal muscles and it also helps to reduce the fat from the belly region because while doing this asana it create lots of pressure on our abdominal muscles that helps to reduce the extra fat from the belly.
Marjariasana Strengthens the Back and Abdominal Muscles:
The regular practice of this asana will help to keep our back and abdominal muscles strong and healthy, because while doing Marjariasana, our spine is moving upward that helpful to reduce the hunch and squeeze the abdominal muscles. Different studies have been proven that regular practicing of Marjariasana helps to improve the flexibility and elasticity of the spine and abdominal muscles, beside this it also helps to reduce the stiffness of the spine, thus reduce the back pain.
Marjariasana Helps to Reduce Back Pain:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Marjariasana can very helpful for those who are suffering from any perennial back pain, because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure on the spine and its also stretch the spine, that helps to improve the flexibility of our spine that helps to prevent back pain.
Marjariasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Marjariasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, this ensure brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients, this is very beneficial in relieving the stress and anxiety.
Marjariasana Increases Focus:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Marjariasana helps to improve the blood circulation to the brain because your head position is going against the gravity, so it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly.