As the skin on your lips is extremely thin and sensitive, these have a thin layer to protect themselves from external irritations.
As the skin on your lips is extremely thin and sensitive, these have a thin layer to protect themselves from external irritations. Therefore it is important that moisture levels are properly maintained. And it is especially important to protect your lips against external influences such as cold, wind and UV radiation. You should care for them all day long in order to protect your lips.
If your lips are unnaturally swollen, the abnormal enlargement of lips becomes easily noticeable by anyone and everyone around you. The condition might not always be painful, but it is definitely stressful and scary. It is always better and safe to opt for natural ways of treatment. So, you should try the below tips before it gets worse.
Although the main cause of Swollen lips is any trauma to the soft tissue, there can be various other reasons for swollen lips. Some of the common reasons are as follows:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Viral infection
- Injury or cut
- Allergic reaction to a food product
- Bad lip care products
- Extreme climatic conditions
- Insect bite
Generally, swollen lips are accompanied by cuts and bleeding too, which makes it difficult for a person to eat, drink or talk properly. Sometimes it may accompany chapped skin, blisters, lip discoloration, and headache. You may also experience fatigue and tiredness.
Below listed are some of the easy tips to treat this condition.
Ice Cubes For Swollen Lips:
Application of ice to swollen lips is one of the most common ways to heal it. Ice can reduce edema by reducing the amount of blood flowing to the affected site.
- Wrap 1-2 ice cubes in a soft washcloth and press this pack gently over the swollen area for 8-10 minutes.
- Take a break of 10 minutes and repeat the process.
- Repeat after a few hours if required.
Directly using ice cubes on swollen lips may result in mild frostbite or soreness. So do not apply it directly.
Turmeric Powder For Swollen Lips:
As Turmeric powder contain curcumin which has has anti-inflammatory compounds, it can reduce the swelling. It is also known for its antiseptic and healing properties.
- Make a thick paste by mixing a pinch of turmeric powder with one tablespoon fullers earth and cold water. Apply it all over the swollen area of your lips.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Wash your lips with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
Aloe Vera For Swollen Lips:
As Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to reduce the burning sensation as well as swelling on the lips. If the swelling on your lips are due to a mosquito bite, insect bite or any allergic reaction, freshly extracted aloe vera juice or gel works best to cure the condition.
- Cut and open an aloe vera leaf and remove the aloe gel inside it.
- Take a small amount of this gel and gently massage it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for as long as possible.
- Repeat this twice a day.
Coconut Oil For Swollen Lips:
Because of the antimicrobial properties that eliminate any harmful bacteria, fungi, or virus while absorbing all the impurities from the skin pores, organic coconut oil is very effective in treating skin ailments. It is also a great emollient and keeps the skin nourished and supple.
- Massage a few drops of organic coconut oil on the swollen lips.
- Leave it on for a couple of hours.
- Repeat application if the swelling doesn't reduces
Honey For Swollen Lips:
As honey has natural healing and antibacterial properties, it is one of the fastest ways to get rid of swollen lips. It soothes any itching or irritation that are accompanied by swelling.
- Dip a fresh cotton ball in one tablespoon honey. Apply it directly to the affected area.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this two to three times a day.
Witch Hazel Extract And Salt For Swollen Lips:
Witch hazel is an astringent that is used to clean and disinfects the surface of any kind of skin. It also helps reduces inflammation and soothes the swollen and sensitive skin.
- Mix half teaspoon salt with one tablespoon witch hazel.
- Apply this on the lips with a cotton ball and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice for best results.
Tea Tree Oil And Aloe Vera For Swollen Lips:
Although aloe vera gel can be used by itself to treat swollen lips, a mixture of tea tree essential oil with it can be more effective. Tea tree oil is a strong antimicrobial agent, and it can help reduce swelling caused by infections and insect bites very quickly.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil to one teaspoon of aloe gel and mix well.
- Apply this mixture on the lips and massage gently for a minute or two.
- Leave it on for 10-12 minutes and then rinse with cool water.
- Repeat this once or twice a day depending on how quickly the swelling reduces.
Baking Soda For Swollen Lips:
Using Baking soda can be effective if the problem occurs due to fever blisters, allergic reaction, an insect bite or a mosquito bite as it is an antiseptic agent with anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with some water.
- Apply a thick coat of this paste on the swollen area.
- Keep it on for 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Do this once again after 3-4 hours if the swelling doesn't reduce
Epsom Salt For Swollen Lips:
Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, Epsom salt can reduces the swelling on your lips. The warm Epsom salt water can soothes your skin and relieves pain. Any cuts or bruises on your lips, will heal quickly with the Epsom salt compress.
- Mix one tablespoon Epsom salt in one cup warm water.
- Dip the washcloth in this water and place it on the swollen lips for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure a few times until the swelling subsides.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Swollen Lips:
Apple cider vinegar can reduce swelling due to edema and inflammation. It is also an excellent antiseptic.
- Dilute one teaspoon apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon water and apply it on the lips with the cotton ball.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse with water
- Repeat this twice a day.
Warm Water For Swollen Lips:
Warm water is another effective way of curing swollen lips. It reduces swelling by promoting circulation. It also soothes the pain you might experience due to the swelling of your lips.
- Soak the washcloth in warm water. Take it out and wring it to remove the excess water from the cloth.
- Now, place it on your lips for 8-10 minutes.
- If required, repeat this process after an hour.
With these home remedies you can cure swollen lips. However, you should eat a balanced and healthy diet that is rich in vitamins to avoid swollen lips.
Consult a doctor immediately if your lips swell up regularly.