Iron deficiency in childbearing age is a big concern. Specially during pregnancy, iron deficiency can cause various problems like risk of premature labor and low birth weight baby.
Iron deficiency in childbearing age is a big concern. Specially during pregnancy, iron deficiency can cause various problems like risk of premature labor and low birth weight baby. So its very essential to have more iron in the body to provide sufficient amount of blood for the baby. Here we will explain you the importance of iron during pregnancy.
Benefits of Iron During Pregnancy
- Iron is very essential for the body in every stages of life as it supports various functions of the body.
- It is required for the production of hemoglobin, a protein show in red platelets, which convey oxygen.
- Iron is a critical part of myoglobin, a protein that carries oxygen to the muscles, and collagen, which enables work to bone, ligament and other connective tissues.
- It is likewise required for the creation of numerous basic proteins in fortifying your immune system.
There are various reasons below for which you have to increase your iron intake during pregnancy.
To make additional hemoglobin
During pregnancy, your body creates right around half more blood than it typically does, which is the reason you require additional hemoglobin and consequently additional iron.
Previous iron inadequacy
Numerous ladies are inadequate in iron even before they get pregnant. The lacking measure of iron makes one feel tired. Henceforth they require additional iron during pregnancy.
Increased necessity for baby's development
As the baby develops, the necessity for iron increases, particularly during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
To avoid complication during pregnancy
Absence of iron during pregnancy can cause various pregnancy complication, for example, premature delivery, low birth weight, newborn child mortality, and so on. You can keep away from all these with adequate intake of iron.
Food High In Iron
Notwithstanding the supplements, your specialist may likewise prescribe iron rich nourishments during pregnancy that you could incorporate into your day by day count calories.
There are two sorts of iron: heme and non-heme.
Heme iron is found in animal sources include meat, fish and poultry. This iron get easily absorbed by our body. Along these lines, it is good for our body to take a greater amount of heme food.
Non-heme iron is found in plant sources include dried beans, peas and lentils and some fruits and vegetables.
Tips To Meet Your Iron Requirements During Pregnancy
Here are some simple ways to retain iron while planning your everyday diet:
- Use iron container for cooking whenever possible to get some amount of iron as they absorb iron.
- Don't take caffeine along with meals as they can prevent the absorption of iron.
- Consume vitamin C rich food like oranges, broccoli, strawberry, etc. as they can absorp iron quickly.
- Calcium prevents absorption of iron. In case that you are on calcium supplements, ensure you give gap between dinners.
Symptoms of Iron Deficiency During Pregnancy
Iron Deficiency can result in:
- Decreased work capacity
- Decreased resistance to infections
- Cardiovascular stress
- Iron deficiency anemia
Side Effects Of Iron Supplements During Pregnancy
A balanced iron intake c in the body during pregnancy can avoid the below side effects.
- Gastrointestinal tract problem: constipation is one of the significant issues you may face.
- Darker stools: Iron makes your stool darker.
- Sickness and loose motion: Now and then, supplementation can make you feel nauseous. The right time to take iron supplements is one or two hours before or after food.