Polycystic Ovarian Disease or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is becoming a common condition amongst the women of reproductive age. This condition is usually caused due to hormonal imblance and lifestyle. Being overweight or obese has been dire
Polycystic Ovarian Disease or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is becoming a common condition among the women of reproductive age. This condition is usually caused due to hormonal imbalance and lifestyle. Being overweight or obese has been directly related with PCOD. Genetics also plays a vital role for this condition. Women with PCOD can have complications, such as infrequent menstruation, thinning of hairs, excessive secretion of oil on the skin, lack of appetite, problems in conceiving and many more.
PCOD can be cured with proper treatment. Ensure a better diet, proper exercise and healthy lifestyle to get the best benefits.
Changing the way you eat can help you manage the symptoms much better. PCOD symptoms are aggravated with consumption of certain types of foods so staying away from refined flour, sugar, dairy products and carbohydrates helps to greatly reduce insulin imbalance and occurrence of associated symptom. Replacing such foods with raw fruits, green leafy vegetables and foods with a low glycemic index helps to maintain the nutrition value and also helps weight loss.
Best Foods for PCOD/PCOS:
Foods to be included to reduce PCOD are:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Healthy fats such as Omega-3 fatty acids, nuts, seeds, oily fish, avocado and olive oil
- Lean protein sources such as tofu, chicken and fish
Foods to Avoid:
Foods to be avoided when you have PCOD are:
- Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, muffins, pastries, sugary desserts
- High GI (Glycemic Index) foods such as white rice, mashed potatoes, rice cakes, muffins and cakes
- Dairy products
- Soy products
Things you can follow to change your diet:
- All carbohydrates turn into sugars upon digestion, which means a high carb diet is a bad idea for those who have insulin resistance and PCOD. Give up on all kinds of processed foods and refined carbs. You can replace the simple carbohydrates like white bread, rice, pasta with their whole-grain counterparts and eat carbohydrate in moderation. If possible stop eating grains for dinner, which will help improving insulin sensitivity and weight loss. Your diet should comprised of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean cuts of meat and legumes.
- Do not use artificial sweeteners as these can be harmful for your health. Rather you can add a little honey to your diet whenever required. But the best way to cut down sugar is to completely eliminate it from your tea and smoothies.
- One of the best ways to improve insulin sensitivity and PCOD issues is to exercise regularly. Going for a walk in fresh air on a daily basis not only help reduce your weight but also good for your mental health. It will help you beat stress and fatigue while clearing up your mind. You can also go for Zumba classes, practice yoga or lift weights at the gym.
- Practicing yoga and meditation will help you keep calm as these are wonderful stress relievers.
- Probiotics improve gut health, which helps reducing chronic inflammation as well as clearing up acne from inside-out. Adding probiotic to your diet will help fighting PCOD.
- You can take a supplement of vitamin B12 which is crucial vitamin for the smooth running of the Central Nervous System.
- Fresh aloe gel has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and astringent properties that help treat acne naturally, without irritating the skin or causing dryness. You can simply wash your face with water and apply the clear gel all over twice a day for skin improvement.
- Drink more water(3 to 4 litres) to flush out toxins and stay hydrated. Drinking enough water not only help balance pH levels in the body but also it will greatly help with bloating, which is common in PCOD. When your body retain water for its bodily functions, bloating occurs. Drink more water so that your kidneys and liver will start to work optimally. Water will gently flush out excess sodium from the body, reducing bloat and puffiness.