Split ends occur when hair becomes weak and begins to break near the end of the hair shaft.
Split ends occur when hair becomes weak and begins to break near the end of the hair shaft. Too much heat styling, sunlight, or harsh styling products can all cause split ends. You will need to trim your hair in order to completely eliminate split ends. However, you can treat and care for your split ends to minimize their appearance.
Split ends can be stubborn to get rid of, but are really preventable. Follow the below tips to prevent split end:
Use hair shears:
While trying a haircut at home by yourself always go for hair shears as they are sharp and do less damage to your hair. Never use paper scissors to cut hair as these scissors will cause fraying, which in turn will lead to split ends.
Use the right type of shampoo and conditioner:
Choose the right kind of shampoos and conditioners that are designed to add extra moisture, proteins, and vitamins to your hair. Just read the label for restructuring, repairing, nourishing, hydrating, or moisturizing which can make your hair healthier and stronger. Although they will not seal the split ends back up, but they will help manage them and prevent the split from going further up the hair shaft.
Use a deep-conditioning hair mask 2-3 times per month:
Use a deep-conditioning hair mask instead of using your usual conditioner. After applying the conditioner do not rinse it out. Squeeze the extra moisture out of your hair and wear a shower cap. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse it out using cool water. Make sure not to leave the mask on too long, as the one containing protein could cause your hair to become brittle. Look for the labels Deep repair, Hair repair treatment, Restorative if you can't find a hair mask designed specifically for split ends.
Apply a hair serum on the ends of hair once a week:
Apply a generous amount of this serum that contain conditioning agent and ingredients that gives hair a shine to damaged split ends. The serum works to help treat and smooth split ends. Look on the labels for on the label for Split end cream/mender and Pure oil treatment.
Egg mask to remove split ends:
Eggs have the nutrients that helps nourish and condition hair, making it smooth and thereby easier to remove split ends. Use the following mask remove split ends:
- Whisk together the yolk of 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of honey and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply this mask on your hair from top to bottom. Leave it to dry for approximately half an hour.
- Wash it off with cold water and a nice, gentle shampoo with a good fragrance to remove the smell of egg.
Olive oil is very moisturizing. It is also full of fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E. Egg contain vitamins A, D, and E, which are important for hair health. They also contain moisturizing fatty acids and plenty of protein. Honey will help moisturize your hair. Split ends usually happen to hair that is brittle and dry, so keeping your hair hydrated can help prevent split ends and also keep existing ones from getting worse.
Hot oil conditioning to remove split ends:
Heat some olive or coconut oil till it is hot but make sure not to boil it. Now, gently massage it onto your scalp and leave it like that for approximately 1 hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Avocado oil is moisturizing, making it ideal for dry and frizzy hair. Castor oil tends to be slightly drying, but it also adds strength, making it great for oily hair as well as brittle hair.
- Coconut oil is moisturizing and suitable for all hair types. It will leave your hair soft and shiny.
- Jojoba oil is weightless and ideal for oily hair.
- Sesame oil is great for all hair types. It will condition your hair and add shine.
Papaya for split ends:
Papaya works as wonder for removing split ends as it is rich in vitamins, anti-oxidants and amino acids. To prepare the mask:
- Blend together a half cup of yogurt with a ripe papaya till the mixture gets a thick yet smooth consistency.
- Apply it on your hair and let it sit for half an hour
- Wash it off with cold water and a nice, gentle shampoo.
Honey for split ends:
Honey, with all its natural goodness, can really remove split ends effectively. To prepare the mask:
- Make a thick paste using curd and honey and apply it to your hair ends.
- Leave it on for half an hour
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Continue this treatment for a month, once a week to get amazing result.
Packed with vitamins like B5 and D, a hair pack with curd will help strengthen your hair from inside. Curd can be used as a conditioner which is always better then using chemical conditioners.
Tips To Prevent Split Ends:
- Get your hair trimmed regularly as this prevents fraying.
- Avoid heat-styling your hair and use protective sprays when you do. Air dry your hair. Don't blow dry as much as possible.
- Use hair masks to infuse your hair with moisture.
- Shampoo your hair twice.
- Use a natural brush to untangle your locks post a shower
- Eat plenty of protein-containing foods as protein is very important for strong, healthy hair.
- Eat plenty of vitamin and biotin-rich foods. Proteins and vitamins are important to maintain strong, healthy hair and thus prevent the damage from getting worse. Eat more berries, fish, and nuts to add more biotin to your diet.
- Avoid hair products containing sulfates, silicons, and parabens as these ingredients are very damaging to your hair, and will make your split ends worse.
- Stay away from harsh chemical treatments such as perming, straightening, and coloring your hair, all of which can damage your hair.