Dryness and peeling skin on the lips can be prevented with the hydration and nourishment. The most important thing to prevent this problem is to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water during the day.
When you use the right products that suits exactly your skin, it helps
- Repair and maintenance of the barrier of your skin
- Restoration of healthy glow and smooth texture
- Reducing any skin-related problem that you may have
Various factors that can cause chapped lips are:
- Excessive licking of lips
- Sun damage
- Smoking and drinking
- Skin irritants in toothpaste
- Certain medications, such as retinoids and chemotherapy drugs
Below mentioned are some of the home remedies to prevent as well as cure dry and chapped lips:
Coconut Oil For Chapped Lips:
Carrier oils, such as olive oil, coconut oil, and castor oil, are the best natural moisturizers and lubricants as they contain healthy fatty acids. These fatty acids can provide the necessary oils the lips need to make them soft and supple. Adding essential oils, such as tea tree oil or grapeseed oil, will speed up the healing process of dry lips. They also prevent infections, especially if the dryness has created cracks in your lips.
- Depending on which carrier oil and essential oil are available, make a blend by mixing 1-2 drops of the essential oil such as tea tree oil, grapeseed oil, neem oil in the carrier oil like organic coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, almond oil or jojoba oil.
- Apply this blend on your lips and leave it on.
- Reapply this oil blend twice or thrice during the day. It can also be applied before going to bed and left on overnight.
Honey And Vaseline For Chapped Lips:
The antibacterial properties of Honey makes it one of the best healing agents available naturally. It is also a humectant. Vaseline or petroleum jelly is used to soften and nourish the skin and prevent it from drying by locking the moisture in the skin. A very effective home remedy for chapped lips can be prepared by combining these two ingredients.
- Apply a layer of honey on your lips and apply a layer of Vaseline on top of this.
- Leave these on for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a damp tissue or a damp cloth to wipe it off.
- Repeat this once every day for about a week for lasting results.
Rose Petals and Milk For Chapped Lips:
As Rose petals contain vitamin E, they have skin nourishing properties. They also help to retain the natural color of your lips. Milk contains lactic acid that gently exfoliates the dead skin from the surface of the lips. The essential fats, vitamins, and minerals present in milk help to hydrate and nourish dried lips.
- Soak 5-6 petals in 1/4 cup milk for 2-3 hours.
- Gently mash the petals in the milk to get a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this paste on your lips. Keep it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Do this every day for a week or so.
Cucumber For Chapped Lips:
As Cucumber is an excellent hydrating agent for the skin, it can be used to treat your dry and chapped lips.
- Rub the cucumber slice gently on your lips for a minute or two.
- Leave the cucumber juice on for 10 minutes and then wash your lips.
- You can also mash 1-2 cucumber slices and apply this as a mask on your lips.
- Apply cucumber on your lips once or twice every day.
Aloe Vera For Chapped Lips:
Aloe vera contains natural ingredients that soothe the chapped skin and gently remove the dead layer of skin cells. It has anti-inflammatory properties that relieves the burning sensation you may experience due to the dryness . It helps to strengthen the thin protective layer of skin on the lips and also provides a cooling effect.
- Cut the aloe leaf sideways and scoop out the gel into an airtight container.
- Apply the gel on your lips and leave it on overnight.
- Store the remaining gel in the airtight container and keep this in the fridge.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the lips regularly before going to bed.
Green Tea Bags For Chapped Lips:
AS Green tea contains antioxidants and tannins, it help to heal the dry and dehydrated skin on your lips. The burning sensation that you may experience due to the dryness can also be relieved by applying green tea bag on your lips.
- Dip the green tea bag in hot water for a few minutes.
- Place this tea bag on the lips.
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
- Repeat this once daily.
Cocoa Butter For Chapped Lips:
Cocoa butter, shea butter, and ghee are different types of butter extracted from different sources. These things mainly contain essential fatty acids that deeply condition and nourish dehydrated skin. Ingredients like yogurt and buttermilk also contain skin nourishing fats, and also act as mild astringents at the same time.
- Apply a small amount of cocoa butter on your lips and leave it on overnight.
- Alternatively, you can also use shea butter or ghee (clarified butter) and leave it on overnight as well.
- You can also apply yogurt or buttermilk and leave it on your lips for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Do this every day for a few days.
Lemon Juice For Chapped Lips:
As Lemon acts as a natural bleach and exfoliant, it is an effective remedy for dark and chapped lips. Honey nourishes the skin and protects the lips from the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Mix one teaspoon lemon juice, one teaspoon honey with half teaspoon castor oil and apply as a mask on your lips.
- Keep it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Repeat this procedure daily for 7-10 days.
Sugar For Chapped Lips:
Sugar is an excellent exfoliant that can be used for treating chapped lips. Scrubbing your lips with sugar will exfoliate and get rid of the layer of dry and flaky skin resulting in soft and supple lips. As the blood circulation is improved by scrubbing, it reveals their natural color.
- Mix one teaspoon of brown sugar or white sugar with few drops of olive oil and half teaspoon of honey. Do not let it dissolve.
- Apply this mixture on your lips and scrub gently in circular motions.
- Wash the scrub off with lukewarm water.
- Use this scrub every alternate day initially. Then, continue to use it once or twice a week to maintain soft and smooth lips.
Sugar and Baking Soda For Chapped Lips:
Both sugar and baking soda act as exfoliants that removes the layer of dry and flaky skin resulting in soft and supple lips. Baking soda also soothes the burning sensation that accompanies chapped lips. The vanilla extract adds a pleasant flavor to this lip scrub.
- Mix 2 teaspoons sugar, one teaspoon baking soda, 2teaspoons jojoba oil or olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Take a small amount of this mixture on your fingertip and apply it on your lips.
- Scrub the lips with this mixture for a minute or so and then wash it off.
- You can store the rest of the vanilla lip scrub in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Use this scrub every day for a few days and then once every 3-4 days.
The dead and flaky skin from the surface of your lips can be removed by all these remedies mentioned above and reveal the soft skin present below it. Nourishing agents have also been included in these remedies to maintain this softness. To get soft and supple lips, follow the above mentioned things.