Hair fall can be prevented through medical intervention, taking proper care of your hair and diet.
Hair fall is common problem of any age group. However, losing about 100 hairs on a daily basis is very common and need not to bother as new ones grow and replace them. But excessive hair loss is a problem that you should think over to control. Genetics, illness, medications, or even a poor diet can contribute to hair loss. Hair fall can be prevented through medical intervention, taking proper care of your hair and diet. See a dermatologist who will be able to recommend a topical application or a pill. These can be quite effective but the only disadvantage is that they work for only as long as they are used. Your hair will start falling when you stop using these.
Things that you should do are:
- Massage coconut milk on the scalp to reduce hair fall as this is a great source of nutrients.
- Massage the scalp with aloe gel, leave in for a few hours and then wash with lukewarm water. A mixture of aloe gel, coconut milk and wheat germ oil will works as wonder to reduce hair fall as the combination work as a great hair conditioner.
- Massage your scalp with coconut oil twice a week for best results. Wrap a warm towel around your hair for 15 minutes after the head massage which will provide extra conditioning.
- Hot oil hair massage of either coconut, olive, mustard or almond oil gives best results to reduce hair fall. Massages help stimulate blood flow to the scalp stimulating hair follicles and also making you feel relaxed. Scalp message can also help strengthen your hair.
- Herbs like neem and amla steeped in massage oil are great hair fall treatment options.
- Use hair packs made with eggs or yogurt to soothe the scalp and nourish hair for excessive hair fall.
- One of the most effective solutions to reduce hair fall is trimming as hair tends to be the most damaged near the tips. Not only it makes your hair strong and reduce damage, but also fixes split-ends.
- Watch what you eat as bad food habits can cause hair fall. Always try to eat a balanced diet. Following a proper diet will keep your hair healthy & help reduce hair fall. So, eat plenty of green vegetables and fresh fruits as much as possible.
- Include vitamins especially Vitamin C, which is found in citrus fruits, minerals, folic acids etc. in your diet. Onions, when applied on the hair also promotes hair growth.
- Along with a healthy diet follow a regular exercise plan side by side. Yoga and meditation are also effective in reducing hair fall as it helps reduce stress which is one of the most leading cause for hair fall and premature graying.
- It is extremely important to know your scalp type, so that you can choose the right shampoo and wash accordingly. Over washing hair with dry scalp or not washing oily locks thrice a week can lead to hair fall.
- Apply a good quality conditioner after shampoo that can work wonders for your locks. As it contains amino acids, it will help to repair damaged hair, and also helps to keep them smooth.
- Use conditioner and finish with a protective spray while using products that heat your hair.
Avoid doing the following things:
- Avoid brushing wet hair as rubbing wet hair vigorously will lead to hair breakage. Use a wide toothed comb or let them air dry first before any form of styling.
- Don't tie your hair tightly all the time as it puts pressure on the roots and causes hair to fall. Try not to tie your hair tight while sleeping.
- As heat in any form is bad for hair, limit using hot water, hair dryers and hair styling tools. These will dry out the hair causing hair fall. Instead of lukewarm water, try to rinse hair with the coolest temperature.
- Avoid using blow dryers, curling rods, especially on wet hair as they actually absorb the water in your hair shaft and make them fragile. If you really need to use a blow dry, then keep it on the lowest heat setting.
- Do not use too many hair products as residue can build up.
- It could lead to more hair fall if you use too much of a product. Make sure to follow product instructions carefully.
- Avoid doing rigorous hair treatments like straightening, perming and coloring. These can make your hair more dry, fragile and prone to breakage.
- Rinse shampoo well to make sure hair follicles are not clogged.
- Try not to use the shampoo that contain chemicals including sulfate, paraben and silicone as that can make your hair fragile and prone to breakage.
Avoid using too many products on your hair that contain chemicals as they are harmful in the long run. It is best to try natural home remedies instead.